Responsible for directing the fiscal functions of the school district in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and school district policy. This includes financial analysis, internal and external reporting, cash management, budgeting, financial accounting, financial forecasting, purchasing, contract administration, payroll, and fringe benefits. This position also supervises business office personnel and will serve on the Superintendent’s Leadership Team.
• Prepare and monitor all district budgets, including long-range financial planning in a collaborative approach with departmental leadership.
• Prepare and oversee the preparation of monthly district financial reports and ensure they meet all local, state, and federal requirements including timely submission.
• Effectively communicate and work with the Board of Education and other Committees of the Board regarding implementation and education relating to school finance issues.
• Participate in management of business office personnel, contracted services, food service, pupil accounting, , employee negotiations, and serve as liaison with human resource employees
• Other duties as assigned by the Superintendent.
A Letter from the Superintendent:
January 10, 2023
Dear Prospective Finance Director,
It is my pleasure to introduce you to the Hartford Public Schools. At HPS you are joining a dedicated educational team and community believing that “every student matters, every moment counts.” The City of Hartford is located in southwestern Van Buren County along Red Arrow Highway. It lies adjacent to Interstate 94 at exit 46, which is the state's major east-west transportation route, providing Hartford with an excellent connection to major Midwestern population centers.
Hartford Public Schools is comprised of an elementary school (K-5), middle school (6-8), high school (9-12), and an alternative education program (9-12). Our District is fortunate in experiencing stable enrollment with approximately 1330 students. With intentional fiscal responsibility, the District has maintained a healthy fund balance exceeding the MSBO recommendations.
This fall, we committed to two very important goals for our District - 1) To increase student achievement through collaboration and 2) To improve our culture, making Hartford Public Schools a great place to learn and work. To meet these goals, our staff have embraced the Capturing Kids Hearts process to help build a positive culture and committed to becoming a Professional Learning Community with a focus on student achievement results.
This is an exciting time to join the Hartford Huskie team. The new Finance Director will join the administrative team with support of the Board of Education in ensuring success for all students while maintaining positive financial health. Please accept this letter as a personal invitation to consider joining our administrative team.