Manages all aspects of district payroll operations and services to ensure accuracy of processing.
• Reviews and audits time sheets and payroll and benefit records ensuring compliance with each District’s policies and procedures, appropriate labor agreements, and related federal and state laws. Identifies, calculates and inputs appropriate adjustments as necessary. Processes payroll, balances and processes reports, prepares tax and retirement reports ensuring accuracy and compliance with related laws and regulations.
• Processes and calculates a variety of complex payroll actions including overtime wages, weighted average calculations, workers compensation claims, and prorated salary calculations.
• Ability to meet deadlines consistently without supervision
• Maintains knowledge of and ensure compliance with statutes, contracts, rules, regulations, interpretations and the like.
• Maintains documentation related to the payroll software, payroll processing, time entry and benefits.
• Processes Office of Retirement Services (ORS) submission; balances each pay; reconciles cash and general ledger balances to ORS’s records.
• Completes payroll and benefit processes for staff terminating employment.
• Prepares and/or extracts from the payroll software, various reports and information as necessary for meeting internal and external requirements including withholding and sales tax filings, 941s, W-2’s, and retirement reports. Maintains tables and exceptions necessary to accommodate external requirements.
• Maintains/regulates all deduction master information including withholding orders, dues withholding plans for multiple bargaining units, and assessment/ application of the correct mandatory MPSERS deduction plan.
• Maintains year-end changes such as tax tables and tax shelter investment options and calculates correct deductions related to each different insurance vendor and benefit plan.
• Provides assistance and support for other Human Resources functions as needed.
• Processes remittances to appropriate agencies for funds withheld from paychecks including benefit and payroll taxes; balances to appropriate reports.
• Processes and maintains leave records according to established guidelines.
• Prepare the 3rd party payroll and be the key contact for the district
• Assists in the evaluation, design, implementation, and ongoing monitoring of department systems and procedures to support and improve operational effectiveness.
• Prepares audit schedules/documents, provides information and assists auditors as needed.