As a member-based association dedicated to protecting and enhancing pension and health insurance benefits for all Michigan public school retirees, communicating with key audiences is vital to achieving our mission. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Communications Coordinator supports creative and tactical storytelling on behalf of the organization to potential and current members, donors, and partners. The position will write and edit for our digital and print publications; coordinate with organization staff and leadership on communications strategies; develop and deliver compelling messages that informs and educates members and drives media coverage effectively and efficiently; and help implement a communications plan that grows the base of support and financial capacity of MARSP. This is a full-time, 40-hour per week position based out of an appropriate home office with minimal travel required.
• Serves as a content creator and writer for the organization and is responsible for telling the organization’s stories to multiple audiences through various communication methods.
• Edits and proofreads all print and digital communication collateral and is responsible for assuring that the organization’s style guide and brand standards are developed and followed.
• Creates brand-centric designs for the organization including but not limited to flyers, newsletters, and brochures.
• Work with MARSP staff and leadership to develop talking points and key messages on priority issues.
• Conducts interviews with members and partners to provide in-depth content for communications collateral.
• Write press releases, media advisories and on-deadline statements to drive news coverage of MARSP initiatives.
• Produces print and digital content and materials from concept through production.
• Responsible for layout and design of VANGUARD print newsletter. Works closely with VANGUARD Editor and Executive Director to publish newsletter. Maintains database for VANGUARD publication and distributes to appropriate individuals.
• Understands web content strategy and is able to plan and implement improvement to website design/architecture.
• Generates exposure for recruiting events and programs through proactive and reactive communication efforts.
• Keeps up to date with industry news and activities and covers events for marketing/promotion.
• Monitor public opinion research related to the work of MARSP and incorporate polling insights into the organization’s communications.
• Assist with the management and growth of the MARSP website, database, and communications programs.
• Corresponds with members through various communication methods resolving problems, obtaining and relaying information, and responding to inquiries and complaints.
• Performs related duties as assigned by Executive Director.