Under the direction of the Board of Commissioners - Chairperson, is responsible for the overall management of the County. Oversees the development and administration of County departments and operations. Ensures that the day-to-day operation of the County government is compliant with sound governmental systems and procedures and consistent with policies adopted by the Board of Commissioners. Assists the Board of Commissioners in developing the vision for the County as well as implementation strategies and programs for realizing related goals, objectives and outcomes.
• Plans, organizes, and directs County operations from an overall perspective including personnel, budgeting, planning, and general administration. Assures the implementation of policies, procedures and regulations for operating departments.
• Assesses operations, staffing levels, facilities, and equipment. Analyzes budgetary and resource needs, undertakes improvements, and implements changes. Monitors operational costs and takes actions for increasing efficiency.
• Prepares and presents the County’s annual budget request, assures proper administration of the budget and the achievement of desired financial outcomes.
• Works through department directors and managers to achieve desired outcomes and assure quality objectives. Assesses operations, evaluates performance, and assures necessary training and professional development. Takes disciplinary action according to established procedures.
• Monitors the activities of the departments to include overseeing the development and administration of policies, procedures, programs, goals and objectives.
• Oversees and assures the current status of various financial functions including the five-year financial forecast, grants, debt issuance, actuarial analysis and others. Apprises the Board of all significant financial trends and changes.
• Meets with the Board, citizens, professional consultants, contractors and departments to examine the needs of the County, the development of programs and services, and the evaluation of County operations.
• Maintains strong working relationships with local governmental units, surrounding counties, non-profit organizations, private industry and professional organizations to collaborate/cooperate regarding service delivery needs.
• Attends Board of Commission and subcommittee meetings, providing administrative support, researching issues, preparing reports and presenting proposals for Board approval.
• Serves as the spokesperson for the County, including utilizing various media sources, such as radio, print and social media.
• Oversees the collective bargaining process, developing management proposals, resolving conflicts, and recommending proposals for approval to the Board.
• Keeps abreast of legislative and regulatory developments, new administrative techniques, and current issues through continued education and professional growth. Attends conferences, workshops, and seminars as appropriate.
• Performs other duties as directed.