The Director of Development works directly with the President and CEO, Board of Trustees, Staff, and Volunteers of the Flint Institute of Music (FIM) to design and lead a comprehensive development program that includes: annual, major, planned, and endowment giving; foundation and corporate giving; donor engagement and stewardship. The Director will be responsible for a portfolio of key donors and prospects, and will actively direct and support the President and CEO, Board and staff members in fundraising efforts. The Director will be responsible for translating FIM’s mission and vision into a clear and compelling fundraising strategy, with achievable goals and performance objectives.
About the Flint Institute of Music
The Flint Institute of Music (FIM) is a thriving performing arts organization situated in the heart of the Flint Cultural Center campus, providing music, dance and theatre for all ages and abilities. Tracing its roots back 100 years to the creation of the Flint Community Music Association, founded by J. Dallas Dort, the FIM has grown significantly and continues to build upon its rich tradition of excellence while evolving to meet the needs of area residents. Today FIM reaches more than 300,000 people annually through lessons, classes, outreach programs, performances and concerts through its three program areas: the Flint School of Performing Arts (FSPA), Flint Symphony Orchestra (FSO) and Flint Youth Theatre (FYT).
• Design and lead a comprehensive development program that includes: annual, major, planned, and endowment giving; foundation and corporate giving; donor engagement and stewardship.
• Develop goals to provide the necessary funds to support the programs and operations of FIM, ensuring a clear, accountable process for fund development activities that achieve goals.
• Design cultivation and solicitation strategies, and execute prompt and effective follow-up communications, activities and stewardship.
• Proactively identify and manage a portfolio of individual major gift prospects and donors.
• Enable a supportive relationship between the Development Office and the program area directors (FSPA, FSO, FYT) to identify opportunities and facilitate their involvement in achieving fund development plan goals.
• Assure development and writing of foundation and corporate proposals, and solicitation materials, working closely with program and finance staff to submit grant requests.
• Ensure special event fundraising plans are compatible with overall fund development program goals and evaluated for effective deployment of volunteers and achieving fundraising goals.
• Assure design and maintenance of donor and prospect records, gift management systems, and informational reports.
• Serve as an active and visible member of the greater Flint community, continually building positive relations for FIM with individuals, corporations, and foundations in our service area.
• Ensure establishment of and compliance with the organization’s own fund development and philanthropic principles, policies and procedures.
• Manage and train development staff to ensure effective functioning of the Development Office.
• Work closely with the Marketing Department to integrate donor centered communications to support fund development strategies.
• Engage and mobilize Board leadership in development activities.
• Other duties as assigned by the President and CEO.