Under the direction of the Engineer-Manager, coordinates and manages the budgeting, accounting, and general business operations of the Road Commission including accounts payable and receivable, purchasing, financial reporting, audits, oversight of payroll/benefits administration and human resources functions, and related activities.
• Ensures efficient and effective processes and overall quality control of the accounting department.
• Ensures compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, general operating procedures and other administrative policies. Suggests changes to improve quality or efficiencies, creates and maintains related records and forms.
• Maintains journals, ledgers and accounts. Makes entries and adjustments, reconciles accounts in a timely manner; conducts research necessary to resolve discrepancies.
• Administers accounts payable; reviews and approves invoices, processes payments according to establishes accounting standards and policies.
• In coordination with the Engineer-Manager, prepares the annual budget and necessary amendments throughout the year.
• Works with department managers to develop department budgets, track project costs and provide reports to department managers as needed to comply with budgets.
• Compiles operational and financial data and information, prepares monthly financial reports, and presents analyses to the Board. Prepares various other weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end accounting and financial reports.
• Coordinates audit and year-end financial activities. Prepares schedules, information and reports.
• Maintains inventory of materials, coordinates with Operations Manager, Fleet & Facilities Manager and/or Foremen to ensure adequate supplies are available.
• Assists the Human Resources Administrator as needed with payroll and benefits administration.
• Participates as a member of the negotiating team for settling labor contracts.
• Facilitates resolution of complaints, special requests and other issues related to accounting within the assigned span of authority and control. Serves as contact for employees, vendors, state agencies, contractors and others as needed.
• Participates in bid and purchasing processes as needed.
• Attends meetings and conferences, and participates in other professional development to remain abreast of new developments in the field of public accounting and road commission administration.
• Provides back-up support and other assistance to the Human Resources Administrator/Office Manager, and performs other duties as assigned.