The Staff Accountant is responsible for a wide range of accounting services for clients including auditing financial records, preparing financial reports, analyzing financial data, and assisting clients in complying with financial rules and regulations. They will assist clients in developing annual budgets, year-end reports, and may get involved with basic tax preparation. It is expected that the incumbent will study and ultimately pass the CPA exam.
• Prepares, audits, and analyzes accounting records, financial statements, or other financial reports to assess accuracy, completeness, and conformance to reporting and procedural standards.
• Analyzes financial systems and financial reports to determine company liabilities, profit / loss, tax obligations, and recommends internal controls to ensure system reliability and data integrity.
• May assist computing taxes owed, prepares tax returns, and ensures compliance with payment, reporting, and other tax requirements.
• Interviews clients to obtain additional information on taxable income and deductible expenses.
• Collects and analyzes data to detect deficient controls, duplicated effort, extravagance, fraud, or non-compliance with laws, regulations, and management policies.
• Assists clients in developing annual budgets and tracking those budgets throughout the year.
• Completes financial statements, payroll, tax returns, audits, and special accounting services based on client needs and requirements.
• Reviews the general ledger to ensure for the accuracy of postings; prepares and evaluates journal entries, and analyzes and reconciles accounts as required.
• Actively engages in client development activity and seeks new opportunities to service clients.
• Understand and applies the rules, regulations, and code of ethics established by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) and the Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants (MICPA).
• Other duties as assigned by Supervisor.