The attorney drafts bills, substitutes, and amendments and tracks assigned bills through the legislative process. The attorney serves as nonpartisan legal counsel to the Michigan Legislature and is expected to develop an area of subject matter specialization as well as considerable knowledge of the legislative process and Legal Division policies and procedures.
• Prepares bill requests, drafts conference committee reports, and writes legal memoranda.
• Performs research to determine the impact of proposed legislation on existing laws.
• Drafts reintroductions, legislation with suggested language supplied, and original legislation, amendments, and substitutes of a basic or routine nature.
• Advises legislators regrading the legality of proposed legislation.
• Attends and gives counsel at legislative committee meetings and upon request provides assistance to members on the House and Senate floors.
• Assists in informing legislative clientele of the nature and scope of bill drafting and related legal services available.
• Drafts original legislation, amendments, substitutes, and conference reports of a moderately difficult or complex nature.
• Other duties as assigned by Supervisor.