The Human Resources Director oversees the full scope of human resources programs and services for the Legislative Service Bureau, Legislative Council agencies, and the staff of the Michigan State Capitol Commission which includes employee relations, recruitment and retention, payroll, benefits administration, compensation program administration, policy development and execution, personnel budget formulation and maintenance, staff development, and managing the performance appraisal program.
• Supervises staff and oversees all activities of the Human Resources Office, including issuing assignments and coordinating work activities.
• Serves in an advisory relationship on personnel matters with other Legislative Council agencies and is part of the executive structure of the Bureau.
• Directs the interpretation and application of established human resources policies and the Legislative Council Employee Handbook throughout the organization.
• Oversees employee compensation program, including analyzing wage and salary data to ensure an equitable compensation plan and monitoring employment policies.
• Prepares and maintains annual human resources budget for projected personnel costs and insurance increases.
• Participates in determining staffing needs and coordinates recruiting activities.
• Consults on benefits administration for group benefits, voluntary benefits and flexible spending accounts.
• Maintains employee personnel files and human resources computerized information management system.
• Participates in the Printing Division collective bargaining process and works with internal counsel regarding union contract matters.
• Assists and counsels managers on personnel issues and employee performance deficiencies.
• Coordinates the performance management process. Works with division directors to ensure understanding of the program and monitor evaluation completion.
• Consults in the design of Council employee training and orientation programs.
• Other duties as assigned by the Bureau Director.