Under the direction of the Emergency Services Director & deputy Director, the Education Coordinator plans and implements education and training programs to enhance and/or maintain the knowledge and skills levels necessary to provide quality emergency medical care in the pre-hospital setting. Coordinates the initial education offerings of the department to maintain and adequate work force. Works closely with the CQI Supervisor/Privacy Officer to identify inappropriate trends in patient care practices and techniques and targets education and training to reverse those trends.
• Coordinates and instructs initial and continuing education while maintaining the counties education sponsorship with the state of Michigan.
• Working closely with the CQI Supervisor/Privacy Officer, identifies deficiencies in knowledge and skills and develops and presents education and training programs designed to address those deficiencies.
• Maintains records of education and training programs and plans future education and training programs such that EMS personnel in the ALS and Rescue Divisions may attend and receive continuing education credits to maintain their licensure(s).
• Regularly meets with personnel to test skills and knowledge levels and counsel those personnel regarding their deficiencies. Plans and implements individualized education and training programs for individuals with specific deficiencies.
• Works to establish and maintain responder knowledge and certifications as required by the MCA and State Law.
• Regularly meets with other management staff to review past and plan future activities and initiatives.
• Oversees the maintenance of records and preparation of reports related education and training activities and prepares summary reports of those activities.
• Attends seminars, workshops, continuing education courses and in-house training sessions to maintain licensure and remain current on the latest methods, techniques and procedures regarding emergency medical services.
• Performs various public relations activities to assist in maintaining a positive image in the community. Makes presentations to various community groups and conducts classes related to emergency medical services.
• Regularly performs all of the duties of a Paramedic.
• May schedule personnel to maintain adequate coverage on all Advanced Life support ambulances.
• May perform Quality Improvement functions for the department including employee counseling on patient care activities and run report documentation.
• May conducts skill testing to verify competency of Emergency Services personnel to offers of employment.
• May serve as the EMS provider liaison on Medical Control Authority.
• May serve as a member of the Professional Standards Review Organization.