The Director of Finance is responsible for providing strategic and tactical leadership to the firm’s shareholders; conducting financial projections; budgeting; analyzing finance data; providing systems and grant management as well as investment oversight; supervising the bookkeeper; maintains a system of strong internal controls; and overseeing all accounting functions, including accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, financial statement preparation, and monthly client invoicing.
• Lead the firm’s finance team.
• Participate in the management team, addressing issues related to budget, staff, client services, and branding.
• Draft and oversee budget implementation.
• Review financial statements and analyze financial information (e.g., revenues, expenditures, and cash management) to ensure all operations are within budget.
• Produce financial forecasts and prepare custom financial summary reports for management team.
• Serve as primary point of contact for shareholders on finance and accounting matters, project managers and staff on project-level accounting matters, and external auditors.
• Regularly brief shareholders and senior managers on the company’s financial health.
• Process biweekly payroll, assist bookkeeper with monthly project invoicing, and review all adjusting journal entries for accuracy and appropriateness on behalf of shareholders.
• Ensure accurate and timely year-end close.
• Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying and enforcing adherence to these requirements, filing reports, and advising management on needed actions.
• Manage vendors that provide financial services to the company (banking, payroll, auditing).
• Coordinate year-end audit with external auditors.
• Define, document, and implement the firm’s finance policies and procedures to enhance workflow and efficiency while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
• Supervise, mentor, and guide colleagues to help them meet their performance expectations and share knowledge about areas of expertise and the company’s work.
• Other duties as assigned by management.