Performs professional veterinary services for animals at the Animal Control Shelter and to animals under the care of the Shelter. Works under the supervision of the Director of the Animal Control; performs related duties as required.
• Administers veterinary care to animals under the care of the Animal Control Shelter including examining, evaluating and administering appropriate medical treatment.
• Vaccinates dogs, cats, livestock or other animals that are placed with the public and at the annual rabies clinic.
• Oversee the ordering and utilization of controlled substances for use at Animal Control.
• Recommends treatment of sick and injured wildlife to wildlife rehabilitators; Prepares medical reports on animals.
• Trains staff in euthanasia procedures.
• Advises Animal Control Shelter regarding best practices to maintain the safety, health and welfare of the animals.
• Assists in determining the appropriateness of animal cruelty charges and makes recommendations to the Genesee County Prosecutor's Office.
• Participates as an expert witness for animal-related matters.
• Consults with the Genesee County Health Department on animal related diseases or other matters as requested by the Health Department.
• Review and make recommendations for notification protocols for Genesee County Health Department and the Genesee County Animal Control.
• Other duties as assigned.