The Michigan Wetland Board (MiWB) for Local Transportation Agencies seeks a half-time Wetland Program Manager to execute the responsibilities of a statutorily-created Program that oversees and develops wetlands of varying levels to provide mitigation credits that allow valuable local road projects to advance more quickly.
The Wetland Program Manager is expected to perform the following activities to advance the Program for local agencies in Michigan. In this capacity the manager is expected to administer all aspects of the Program, provide outreach to transportation agencies, and promote the appropriate utilization of the Program. The manager implements policies adopted by the Board and may propose revisions to policies to assure the effective use of the public funds.
The four-year-old Program secures wetlands and accompanying endowments with the assistance and partnership of county and municipal road agencies, County Road Association (CRA) of Michigan, Michigan Municipal League (MML), the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes & Energy, the Michigan Department of Transportation, the Michigan Municipal Wetland Alliance and other regulators, stakeholders and current or potential partners. Demonstrated expertise in wetlands and mitigation credits, ability to create partnerships and alliances, and an understanding of the regulatory environment and county/municipal road projects are required to be successful.
The Wetland Program Manager position was established by the Michigan Legislature under PA 246 (2016, as amended) as part of the Local Agency Wetland Mitigation Bank Advisory Board and Fund for county and municipal transportation agencies. The Michigan Wetland Board (MiWB) is comprised of five road agency members who serve as the governing body for the Local Agency Wetland Mitigation Bank Fund.
• Assist the MiWB chair by preparing meeting agenda, recording minutes, arranging site.
• Ensure MiWB website is current and adequate to assure the Board, Legislature, state/local agencies and the public can be informed of the Program.
• Serve as the main MiWB communications representative, regularly engaging with CRA, MML, their member organizations and others to educate about the Program; procedures to develop a mitigation site; to promote and expand the use of wetland banking in road projects using MiWB mitigation sites.
o May include attending the CRA District Council meetings, CRA Sectional Association meetings, CRA County Engineers Workshop and CRA Highway Conference.
o May include MML technical conferences.
• Manage the Fund to assure expenditures are consistent with Board policies and Michigan law. Develop long-term fund projections based on current revenues and the total project expense commitments, including working with contractual fiscal support staff, as necessary. Other specific tasks under MiWB oversight:
o Administer MiWB wetland credit/funding database.
o Review/reconcile local agency reimbursement requests.
o Document all fund expenditures and reimbursements.
o Track wetland creation and assigned mitigation acreage.
o Review/approve mitigation credit requests.
o Track non-MiWB local agency mitigation sites.
• Assist local agencies to assure work performed by environmental/engineering firms on behalf of the local agencies is consistent with MiWB policies, Michigan law, and are persistently advanced to secure EGLE approval.
• Assist local agencies with proposed wetland site eligibility by identifying the appropriate soil, hydrology and vegetation community types.
• Provide oversight of any subcontracted services in executing assigned responsibilities, including securing Board approval prior to retaining subcontractors and providing regular reports to MiWB at and between meetings, as needed.
• Draft Annual MiWB Report for Michigan Legislature, working with outside contracted support, and working with CRA/MML to advocate for the MiWB Program as needed.
• Other duties as directed by the MiWB.